A lot of people think that being healthy is being a gym junkie or a raw vegan but I am neither of those things and I can't tell you the last time I had a cold (or a cry). Also, if it's a task I can perform in 5 minutes or less than sign me up because that is my style and should be yours too!
Having a routine helps when incorporating a new, healthy addition to your day. I remember reading somewhere that it takes 31 days to form a new habit (but triple that to break one), so just stick it out, tick off the days on the calendar and then next thing you know you'll be the friend that says "I know I've had 3 bottles of wine but I really need to take this make-up off before I fall asleep with my shoes on".
Without further ado... my handy, healthy lifestyle tips that can all be done in 20 mins or less!
- Floss: I have warded off many cavities (weak enamel is the pits) by flossing. There will be the following stages when you start flossing; anger, denial (that you will have to do this for all time), acceptance and fervour (you couldn't imagine NOT flossing, who doesn't floss?!).
- Lemon Water: Every morning I squeeze half a lemon in a glass of water and a drink it all down before breakfast (and brushing my teeth obviously). It really kick-starts my day and the health benefits are great. Wellness Mama says it best here. Plus, if it's good enough for Miranda Kerr, it's good enough for you.
- 20 Minutes: Of exercise, movement, anything that get's your heart pumping (yeah, you know *winky face*). You've heard this all before but finding 20 minutes to be active everyday is worth it's weight in gold and not just for weight loss, but for mental health too. Walk, dance around in your underwear or clean your house for the first time in six months. Endorphins; it's science.
- Meditate: Or do my version which is basically sitting there, breathing deeply, listening to some zen music and not worrying about your problems/status update. 10 minutes is a great time to start on (and here's some music to get you started) and if a guided practice helps keep you on track, go crazy! Meditation is a discipline and I'm still new to it but practice makes perfect! In the last 3 months I've noticed my sleeping has improved, I'm able to switch off after work easier and I can calm down quicker (which is handy for someone with a swift reaction to bullshit).
- Brush that Body: Dry body brushing might sound weird, painful and a little bit like looking after a horse, but it is amazing. It requires simple tools (a bristled brush like this) and two minutes before you shower. It's a great exfoliator and stimulates your lymphatic system, plus check out these other benefits. I'm actually addicted to this, I've even gotten my bestie and sister onto it!
- Green Tea: Drink heaps of it. Like, loads. Ok, maybe not, but I have a cup every morning... and about 4 more throughout the day. It's an easy swap to make when you're reaching for a coffee or soft drink, the antioxidants will make your body so happy and it's amazing for stimulating that metabolism. I know some people can't stand the taste, but try real green tea (from an Asian grocer) or a flavoured variety before you say no forever.